Passionate research professional interested in using diverse information and data to help people address complex issues.
Research Director, BlueGreen Alliance Foundation Jan. 2019 - Present, Minneapolis MN
Senior Research Analyst, BlueGreen Alliance Foundation May 2017 - Dec. 2018
Research Analyst, BlueGreen Alliance Foundation Sept. 2012 - April 2017
Market Research Associate, BlueGreen Alliance Foundation Dec. 2010 - Sept. 2012
Established a new Research Department in the organization. Responsible for directing research and data work across departments to meet organizational goals, identifying and taking advantage of strategic opportunities for innovative new research, and establishing the organization as a national expert in all work areas.
Manage staff resources for research. Responsible for hiring and supervising permanent and temporary research staff including interns and research assistants. Identify and provide ongoing training and skill building to build organizational capacity in research work. Coordinate external research capacity through consultants and strategic relationships.
Develop, maintain, and improve research and data infrastructure. Developed robust data collection processes and worked with consultants to build databases and websites. Lead and continuously improve processes for data collection, analysis, validation, and documentation; manage organizational data maintenance and storage. Recommend updates to organizational policy around data sharing to protect data privacy.
Clearly communicate to help multiple audiences understand issues and solutions. Publish research and data materials including reports, fact sheets, blogs, and data visualizations like charts and maps. Produce internal memos, briefs and other documents for staff.
Coordinate within the organization and with external partners to ensure high quality of data and research in all publications and communications. Developing an organizational report process to guarantee quality research and data products are produced in a timely fashion.
The BlueGreen Alliance unites America’s largest labor unions and its most influential environmental organizations to solve today’s environmental challenges in ways that create and maintain quality jobs and build a stronger, fairer economy.
Research Associate, Great Plains Institute Feb. 2010 – Nov. 2010, Minneapolis MN
Created support materials for models used by GPI to help users understand impacts of energy and transportation policies. Created a wiki site providing documentation for GPI’s Energy Choice Simulator and presented on simulation results at REAMP Annual Meeting, Chicago IL, 8/3/10; prototyped a simplified user interface for the Greenhouse Gases, Regulated Emissions, and Energy Use in Transportation (GREET) model using Forio Simulate.
Graduate Research Assistant, University of Minnesota Humphrey School of Public Affairs July 2009 – May 2010, Minneapolis MN
Conducted a research project focused on the technical, social, political, and economic factors of deployment of nano zero valent iron (nZVI) technology for water pollution remediation. Work included contributing to development of a system dynamics map of the system of this emerging technology.
Program Coordinator, Digital Divide Initiative Feb. 2008 – July 2009, Minneapolis MN
Developed curriculum and workshop materials to teach young people science and technology, more broadly supported efforts to bridge the digital divide in North Minneapolis.
Program Specialist, Girl Scouts of Minnesota and Wisconsin River Valleys May 2007 – March 2008, Saint Paul MN
Managed and implemented council programs for girls on topics including the Gold Award (the highest award in girl scouting), social entrepreneurship, financial literacy, and robotics day camp.
National Community Service through AmeriCorps Sept. 2003 – Sept. 2006, Sacramento CA and Saint Paul MN
Completed three years of community service through the National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC), the Community Technology Empowerment Project (CTEP), and a Vista Leadership position with the Community Technology Center (CTC) VISTA program. CTEP work focused on empowering young people and adults with technology skills; the VISTA Leader program included training in corps development to support AmeriCorps members in their service.
Board Member, Humphrey School of Public Affairs Alumni Board Sept. 2014 – present
Plan events and activities for current students and alumni, including student career trip 2015 and 2016, Show Up for the Common Good, and serving on committees to create an alumni survey and create a pilot Alumni in Residence program.
Alumna Mentor- Humphrey School of Public Affairs Sept. 2012 - May 2016
Work with current Humphrey students as a mentor by attending mentor and student events, meeting individually with students, and providing resources and connections.
Member, Data Analysts for Social Good Feb. 2016 - Feb. 2018
Global community of social sector data professionals
PyLadies Twin Cities Sept. 2014 - May 2015
Planned and hosted meetups and events for the local chapter of an international group of women who program in the Python language. Provide resources to help PyLadies learn, teach, and contribute to the tech community. Represented PyLadies on the organizing committee for Data^3, collaborative data event with PyMNtos and the R user group. Planned and led an Installfest for attendees to prepare for the event. Represented PyLadies TC at PyCon in April 2015.
Open Twin Cities Feb. 2014 – Feb. 2016
Attended meetups and events intended to help people collaboratively use and create technology for social good; focused on recruiting non-technical people and helping them find ways to contribute. Co-organized ClimateHack to bring together environmentalists, activists, and programmers (Sept 2015). Co-organized CycleHack Twin Cities to make cycling more sustainable (June 2015). Presented CycleHack at the Winter Cycling Congress in Feb. 2016.
Master of Science in Science, Technology and Environmental Policy from the Humphrey School of Public Affairs at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis MN, May 2010
Research Assistant position and graduate thesis analyzing regulation and governance of an emerging nanotechnology used to remediate water pollution. Used system dynamics modeling and rhetorical analysis to map how perspectives of issues differed across disciplines. Coursework in policy analysis, scientific communication and data display, energy and environmental policy, science and technology policy.
Bachelor of Science, Mathematics and Environmental Studies with an emphasis in natural sciences from Northland College Ashland WI, May 2003
Northland College Student Association (NCSA) Student Senator, 2002-2003; Mathematical Association of America (MAA) Northland College Chapter Vice President, 2001-2003
- TECH@RISK: The Domestic Innovation, Technology Deployment, Manufacturing, and Jobs at Risk in Stepping Away from Global Leadership on Clean Cars 8/1/19
- Electric Vehicles at a Crossroads: Challenges and Opportunities for the Future of U.S. Manufacturing and Jobs in the Electric Vehicle Sector 9/12/18 (Uncredited contributor; management of data collection)
- Driving Investment: How Fuel Efficiency is Rebuilding American Manufacturing 1/25/18 (Uncredited contributor; management of data collection)
- Making the Grade 2.0: Investing in America’s Infrastructure to Create Quality Jobs and Protect the Environment 9/7/17
- Visualizing Manufacturing and Jobs in the Clean Economy: U.S. Automotive Manufacturing: Motor Vehicles, Parts, and Materials 10/12/17 (Uncredited contributor; management of data collection)
- Supplying Ingenuity II: U.S. Suppliers of Key Clean, Fuel-Efficient Vehicle Technologies 5/23/17 (Uncredited contributor; management of data collection)
- Minnesota Transit Manufacturing Fact Sheet and Map 5/4/17 (Uncredited contributor; management of data collection)
- Employment Impacts of Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing (ATVM) Loans 11/1/16 (Uncredited contributor; map)
- Taking Stock: Opportunities and Challenges in California’s Natural Gas Distribution System 12/22/16 (Uncredited contributor; summary analysis and graphs)
- Taking Stock: Opportunities and Challenges in Indiana’s Natural Gas Distribution System 9/30/15
- Plugging the Leaks: Protecting Workers, Reducing Pollution, and Creating Quality Jobs by Reducing Methane Waste in the U.S. Oil and Gas Industry 9/22/16
- Energy Efficiency Products Database 9/12/17 (Uncredited contributor; database coordination)
- Passenger Rail & Transit Rail Manufacturing in the U.S. (Contributor) 1/30/15
- Climate Works for All: A Platform for Reducing Emissions, Protecting Our Communities, and Creating Good Jobs for New Yorkers 11/18/14
- Minnesota Natural Gas Distribution Pipeline Project 10/31/14 (Uncredited; summary analysis and graphs)
- Making the Grade: How Investments in America’s Infrastructure Benefit Our Economy and Environment 10/24/14
- Competing to Win: Spurring Industrial Energy Efficiency in Minnesota 6/26/14 (Uncredited contributor)
- Repair America: State Reports for Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Washington. 11/13-6/14 (Uncredited)
- Clean Energy Transition Policy Inventory 8/13 (Uncredited; research project manager)
- Rhetoric and System Dynamics Modeling of Nano Zero Valent Iron (nZVI) for Water Pollution Remediation: A Case Study 5/25/10 (Graduate Thesis: Plan B paper)
- Kuzma, Jennifer and Roxanne Johnson. “Environmental Benefits”. Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Society, Guston, David H. 2010. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. Pages 200-203.
- Humphrey School: Show Up for the Common Good 5/3/17; description
- Humphrey School Twin Cities Student Career Exploration Trip 1/14/16; recap
- CycleHack Twin Cities 6/29/15; recap
- PyLadies Cooking Code for Breakfast 1/31/15-5/9/15; recap
- Data Cubed 3/7/15; recap
- Data Cubed Installfest 3/6/15; recap
- Humphrey School Twin Cities Student Career Exploration Trip 1/15/15; recap
- PyLadies Beginner Cohort 9/1/14-12/22/14; recap
- ClimateHack Twin Cities 9/25/14; recap
- A Brief Introduction to Python Programming, FARCON, Minneapolis MN, 8/24/16; description
- PyCon 2016 Poster Session: preview and recap, PyMNtos, Minneapolis MN, 5/12/16 and 6/9/16
- PyCon 2016: Poster Session, Portland OR, 6/1/16; recap
- Winter Cycling Congress, Minneapolis MN, 2/2/16; recap
- PyLadies Beginner Cohort, PyMNtos, Minneapolis MN, 12/11/14; recap
- Open Twin Cities, Minnesota Rising, Minneapolis MN, 11/15/14; recap
- Combined Heat and Power: An Opportunity for U.S. Workers, BlueGreen Alliance: Good Jobs, Green Jobs, Washington DC, 2/10/14
- Make Play Matter: Lecture on Levity in Life by SantaErik Riese, Minneapolis MN; 4/29/18; link, note
- Drupal Camp, Minneapolis MN; 6/24/16
- CodeSwitch Civic Hackathon, Minneapolis MN; 6/4/16
- PyCon 2016, Portland OR 5/30/16
- Do Good Data, Chicago IL; 4/27/16
- Geo:Code 2.0, Minneapolis MN 3/5/16
- Art Shanty Projects: Aurora Shanty, 2/16; link
- NerdCon: Stories, Minneapolis MN, 10/9/15
- Inter Union Gas Conference, Las Vegas NV, 9/21/15
- CodeWork Unconference, Minneapolis MN, 4/18/15; recap
- PyCon, Montreal Quebec, 4/8/15; recap
- People’s Climate March, New York NY, 9/21/14
- Hack for MN, Minneapolis MN, 6/21/14; recap
- Global Service Jam, Minneapolis MN, 3/13/14; recap
- Capitol Code, Minneapolis MN, 2/23/14; recap
- Good Jobs Green Jobs, Washington DC, 2/10/14
- Good Jobs Green Jobs, Washington DC, 4/16/13
- Beakers to Business Plans: Minnesota Green Chemistry 2013, Minneapolis MN, 1/25/13
- Solar Power International, Orlando FL, 9/10/12
- Good Jobs Green Jobs Midwest Regional Conference, Detroit MI 5/10/12
- Manufacturing Innovations: Manufacturing Extension Partnership Conference, Orlando, FL 5/6/12
- Reconnecting McDowell Planning Retreat, Charleston WV, 4/16/12
- Transatlantic Study Tour: Vocational Training in the Fields of Renewable Energy Sources and Climate-Friendly Technology with the Northern Virginia Regional Commission and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, Germany, 3/17/12; recap
- American Wind Energy Association Midwest Wind Energy Markets Seminar, Chicago IL, 3/6/12
- Good Jobs Green Jobs South Regional Conference, Atlanta, GA 2/23/12
- American Wind Energy Association Offshore Windpower Conference & Exhibition, Baltimore MD, 10/11/11
- Virginia Offshore Wind Workshop, Norfolk VA, 9/25/11
- International Economic Development Council Annual Conference, Charlotte NC, 9/17/2011
- American Wind Energy Association Windpower Supply Chain Workshop, Des Moines IA, 9/12/11
- Illinois Wind Working Group Meeting, Chicago IL, 7/21/11
- Virginia Offshore Wind Conference, Virginia Beach VA, 6/22/11
- Manufacturing Innovations: Manufacturing Extension Partnership Conference, Orlando, FL 5/15/11
- Good Jobs Green Jobs, Washington DC, 2/8/11
- National Academy of Sciences Science, Technology and Policy Student Forum, Washington DC, 1/4/09
- National Science Teachers Association National Conference, Boston MA, 3/27/08
- Community Technology Center Network Conference, Washington DC, 7/27/06
- White House Project Go Run Training, Minneapolis MN, 5/20/06
- AmeriCorps VISTA Leader Training, 9/05