Passionate research professional interested in using diverse types of information and data to help people understand and address complex issues. Developed and currently lead a team that provides research support to achieve advocacy and education goals. Continuing to grow organizational capacity to collect, analyze, and visualize data. Eight years of research experience in energy, infrastructure, and manufacturing policy advocacy and four years of experience in developing, implementing, and evaluating various programs for children and adults.
Senior Research Analyst, BlueGreen Alliance Foundation May 2017 - Present, Minneapolis MN
Work to identify opportunities to reduce pollution and greenhouse gas emissions while building a clean energy economy. Help various audiences including staff, BGA/F partners and allies, funders, and the public understand complex issues. Lead the organization’s Research Team in efforts to strategically incorporate research and data into BGA/F work. Strategically incorporate research and data into BGA/F work to support organizational initiatives across departments and establish the organization as a national expert in all areas of work.
The BlueGreen Alliance unites America’s largest labor unions and its most influential environmental organizations to solve today’s environmental challenges in ways that create and maintain quality jobs and build a stronger, fairer economy.
Research Analyst, BlueGreen Alliance Foundation Sept. 2012 - April 2017
Managed research and data projects, writing documents such as papers, factsheets, memos, and issue briefs, and communicated findings in the form of charts, dashboards, and visualizations.
Market Research Associate, BlueGreen Alliance Foundation Dec. 2010 - Sept. 2012, Minneapolis MN
Conducted research and analysis to support BlueGreen Alliance campaigns and programs, particularly those associated with the Clean Energy Manufacturing Center (CEMC).
Research Associate, Great Plains Institute Feb. 2010 – Nov. 2010, Minneapolis MN
Created support materials for models used by GPI to help users understand impacts of energy and transportation policies. Created a wiki site providing documentation for GPI’s Energy Choice Simulator and presented on simulation results at REAMP Annual Meeting, Chicago IL, 8/3/10; prototyped a simplified user interface for the Greenhouse Gases, Regulated Emissions, and Energy Use in Transportation (GREET) model using Forio Simulate.
Graduate Research Assistant, University of Minnesota Humphrey School of Public Affairs July 2009 – May 2010, Minneapolis MN
Conducted a research project focused on the technical, social, political, and economic factors of deployment of nano zero valent iron (nZVI) technology for water pollution remediation. Work included contributing to development of a system dynamics map of the system of this emerging technology.
Program Coordinator, Digital Divide Initiative Feb. 2008 – July 2009, Minneapolis MN
Developed curriculum and workshop materials to teach young people science and technology, more broadly supported efforts to bridge the digital divide in North Minneapolis.
Program Specialist, Girl Scouts of Minnesota and Wisconsin River Valleys May 2007 – March 2008, Saint Paul MN
Managed and implemented council programs for girls on topics including the Gold Award (the highest award in girl scouting), social entrepreneurship, financial literacy, and robotics day camp.
National Community Service through AmeriCorps Sept. 2003 – Sept. 2006, Sacramento CA and Saint Paul MN
Completed three years of community service through the National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC), the Community Technology Empowerment Project (CTEP), and a Vista Leadership position with the Community Technology Center (CTC) VISTA program. CTEP work focused on empowering young people and adults with technology skills; the VISTA Leader program included training in corps development to support AmeriCorps members in their service.
Board Member, Humphrey School of Public Affairs Alumni Board Sept. 2014 – present
Plan events and activities for current students and alumni, including student career trip 2015 and 2016, Show Up for the Common Good, and serving on committees to create an alumni survey and create a pilot Alumni in Residence program.
Alumna Mentor- Humphrey School of Public Affairs Sept. 2012 - May 2016
Work with current Humphrey students as a mentor by attending mentor and student events, meeting individually with students, and providing resources and connections.
Member, Data Analysts for Social Good Feb. 2016 - Present
Global community of social sector data professionals
PyLadies Twin Cities Sept. 2014 - May 2015
Planned and hosted meetups and events for the local chapter of an international group of women who program in the Python language. Provide resources to help PyLadies learn, teach, and contribute to the tech community. Represented PyLadies on the organizing committee for Data^3, collaborative data event with PyMNtos and the R user group. Planned and led an Installfest for attendees to prepare for the event. Represented PyLadies TC at PyCon in April 2015.
Open Twin Cities Feb. 2014 – Feb. 2016
Attended meetups and events intended to help people collaboratively use and create technology for social good; focused on recruiting non-technical people and helping them find ways to contribute. Co-organized ClimateHack to bring together environmentalists, activists, and programmers (Sept 2015). Co-organized CycleHack Twin Cities to make cycling more sustainable (June 2015). Presented CycleHack at the Winter Cycling Congress in Feb. 2016.
Master of Science in Science, Technology and Environmental Policy from the Humphrey School of Public Affairs at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis MN, May 2010
Research Assistant position and graduate thesis analyzing regulation and governance of an emerging nanotechnology used to remediate water pollution. Used system dynamics modeling and rhetorical analysis to map how perspectives of issues differed across disciplines. Coursework in policy analysis, scientific communication and data display, energy and environmental policy, science and technology policy.
Bachelor of Science, Mathematics and Environmental Studies with an emphasis in natural sciences from Northland College Ashland WI, May 2003
Northland College Student Association (NCSA) Student Senator, 2002-2003; Mathematical Association of America (MAA) Northland College Chapter Vice President, 2001-2003
- Making the Grade 2.0: Investing in America’s Infrastructure to Create Quality Jobs and Protect the Environment 9/7/17
- Visualizing Manufacturing and Jobs in the Clean Economy: U.S. Automotive Manufacturing: Motor Vehicles, Parts, and Materials 10/12/17 (Uncredited contributor; management of data collection)
- Supplying Ingenuity II: U.S. Suppliers of Key Clean, Fuel-Efficient Vehicle Technologies 5/23/17 (Uncredited contributor; management of data collection)
- Minnesota Transit Manufacturing Fact Sheet and Map 5/4/17 (Uncredited contributor; management of data collection)
- Employment Impacts of Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing (ATVM) Loans 11/1/16 (Uncredited contributor; map)
- Taking Stock: Opportunities and Challenges in California’s Natural Gas Distribution System 12/22/16 (Uncredited contributor; summary analysis and graphs)
- Taking Stock: Opportunities and Challenges in Indiana’s Natural Gas Distribution System 9/30/15
- Plugging the Leaks: Protecting Workers, Reducing Pollution, and Creating Quality Jobs by Reducing Methane Waste in the U.S. Oil and Gas Industry 9/22/16
- Energy Efficiency Products Database 9/12/17 (Uncredited contributor; database coordination)
- Passenger Rail & Transit Rail Manufacturing in the U.S. (Contributor) 1/30/15
- Climate Works for All: A Platform for Reducing Emissions, Protecting Our Communities, and Creating Good Jobs for New Yorkers 11/18/14
- Minnesota Natural Gas Distribution Pipeline Project 10/31/14 (Uncredited; summary analysis and graphs)
- Making the Grade: How Investments in America’s Infrastructure Benefit Our Economy and Environment 10/24/14
- Competing to Win: Spurring Industrial Energy Efficiency in Minnesota 6/26/14 (Uncredited contributor)
- Repair America: State Reports for Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Washington. 11/13-6/14 (Uncredited)
- Clean Energy Transition Policy Inventory 8/13 (Uncredited; research project manager)
- Rhetoric and System Dynamics Modeling of Nano Zero Valent Iron (nZVI) for Water Pollution Remediation: A Case Study 5/25/10 (Graduate Thesis: Plan B paper)
- Kuzma, Jennifer and Roxanne Johnson. “Environmental Benefits”. Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Society, Guston, David H. 2010. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. Pages 200-203.
- Humphrey School: Show Up for the Common Good 5/3/17; description
- Humphrey School Twin Cities Student Career Exploration Trip 1/14/16; recap
- CycleHack Twin Cities 6/29/15; recap
- PyLadies Cooking Code for Breakfast 1/31/15-5/9/15; recap
- Data Cubed 3/7/15; recap
- Data Cubed Installfest 3/6/15; recap
- Humphrey School Twin Cities Student Career Exploration Trip 1/15/15; recap
- PyLadies Beginner Cohort 9/1/14-12/22/14; recap
- ClimateHack Twin Cities 9/25/14; recap
- A Brief Introduction to Python Programming, FARCON, Minneapolis MN, 8/24/16; description
- PyCon 2016 Poster Session: preview and recap, PyMNtos, Minneapolis MN, 5/12/16 and 6/9/16
- PyCon 2016: Poster Session, Portland OR, 6/1/16; recap
- Winter Cycling Congress, Minneapolis MN, 2/2/16; recap
- PyLadies Beginner Cohort, PyMNtos, Minneapolis MN, 12/11/14; recap
- Open Twin Cities, Minnesota Rising, Minneapolis MN, 11/15/14; recap
- Combined Heat and Power: An Opportunity for U.S. Workers, BlueGreen Alliance: Good Jobs, Green Jobs, Washington DC, 2/10/14
- Drupal Camp, Minneapolis MN; 6/24/16
- CodeSwitch Civic Hackathon, Minneapolis MN; 6/4/16
- PyCon 2016, Portland OR 5/30/16
- Do Good Data, Chicago IL; 4/27/16
- Geo:Code 2.0, Minneapolis MN 3/5/16
- Art Shanty Projects: Aurora Shanty, 2/16; link
- NerdCon: Stories, Minneapolis MN, 10/9/15
- Inter Union Gas Conference, Las Vegas NV, 9/21/15
- CodeWork Unconference, Minneapolis MN, 4/18/15; recap
- PyCon, Montreal Quebec, 4/8/15; recap
- People’s Climate March, New York NY, 9/21/14
- Hack for MN, Minneapolis MN, 6/21/14; recap
- Global Service Jam, Minneapolis MN, 3/13/14; recap
- Capitol Code, Minneapolis MN, 2/23/14; recap
- Good Jobs Green Jobs, Washington DC, 2/10/14
- Good Jobs Green Jobs, Washington DC, 4/16/13
- Beakers to Business Plans: Minnesota Green Chemistry 2013, Minneapolis MN, 1/25/13
- Solar Power International, Orlando FL, 9/10/12
- Good Jobs Green Jobs Midwest Regional Conference, Detroit MI 5/10/12
- Manufacturing Innovations: Manufacturing Extension Partnership Conference, Orlando, FL 5/6/12
- Reconnecting McDowell Planning Retreat, Charleston WV, 4/16/12
- Transatlantic Study Tour: Vocational Training in the Fields of Renewable Energy Sources and Climate-Friendly Technology with the Northern Virginia Regional Commission and Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, Germany, 3/17/12; recap
- American Wind Energy Association Midwest Wind Energy Markets Seminar, Chicago IL, 3/6/12
- Good Jobs Green Jobs South Regional Conference, Atlanta, GA 2/23/12
- American Wind Energy Association Offshore Windpower Conference & Exhibition, Baltimore MD, 10/11/11
- Virginia Offshore Wind Workshop, Norfolk VA, 9/25/11
- International Economic Development Council Annual Conference, Charlotte NC, 9/17/2011
- American Wind Energy Association Windpower Supply Chain Workshop, Des Moines IA, 9/12/11
- Illinois Wind Working Group Meeting, Chicago IL, 7/21/11
- Virginia Offshore Wind Conference, Virginia Beach VA, 6/22/11
- Manufacturing Innovations: Manufacturing Extension Partnership Conference, Orlando, FL 5/15/11
- Good Jobs Green Jobs, Washington DC, 2/8/11
- National Academy of Sciences Science, Technology and Policy Student Forum, Washington DC, 1/4/09
- National Science Teachers Association National Conference, Boston MA, 3/27/08
- Community Technology Center Network Conference, Washington DC, 7/27/06
- White House Project Go Run Training, Minneapolis MN, 5/20/06
- AmeriCorps VISTA Leader Training, 9/05